No, they didn’t come out with a new anxiety disorder classification. 🙂
When I say you have “HSP anxiety”, I simply mean you’re a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) who struggles with anxiety.
And does it really matter if you’re an HSP with anxiety or a non-HSP with anxiety?
Well, I do believe it matters greatly. I believe that taking high sensitivity into account is absolutely crucial when formulating a plan for overcoming anxiety. I’m an HSP with anxiety myself and my efforts to conquer my anxiety were sorely falling flat until I addressed my needs as an HSP.
And while HSPs are not clones of each other – we are a diverse group and we are all unique – there are some similarities in the ways that anxiety tends to manifest itself for HSPs. It’s helpful to recognize these patterns, because then we can use each other’s experiences to figure out how to deal with each of these manifestations.
So here are the signs.
7 Signs You Have HSP Anxiety
1. It seems like physical anxiety symptoms (fight-or-flight) are triggered easily, over relatively minor things that wouldn’t affect most other people.
2. You have anxiety over making mistakes or potentially doing the wrong thing.
3. You have anxiety over being observed or being the center of attention.
4. You have anxiety over receiving criticism or being judged negatively.
5. You are keenly aware of other people’s moods, which adds to your anxiety.
6. You get frazzled and overwhelmed in social situations and then you have anxiety over people noticing your “state”.
7. You have unexplained physical complaints, like frequent headaches or fatigue.
If this sounds like you…
…then first of all, I want you to know that you’re not alone. Been there, felt that! 😉
Second, I want you to know that it’s possible to overcome all of it. If you feel like anxiety is holding you back in life, here are a few steps to consider taking:
- If you’re not sure whether you are a Highly Sensitive Person or what exactly it means, start with this article.
- Learn to differentiate between signs of high sensitivity and symptoms of anxiety by reading this article. (This step alone squashed probably half of my own anxiety!)
- Download my free guide for HSPs with tips for dealing with overstimulation and other HSP dilemmas. HSPs are more vulnerable to stress than non-HSPs and excessive stress is the airplane that’s going to whisk you away to Anxiety-Land.
- Check out my free guide The Key To Overcoming Anxiety.
Which ones of the 7 signs can you relate to? Let me know in the comments below!
(Pssst, I like to share my personal experiences managing anxiety with the hope that some of my discoveries might resonate with others. Making lifestyle changes has greatly contributed to my own well-being, and as a life coach, I help people make impactful changes in their own lives. But I’m not a mental health professional and I’m not qualified to diagnose or treat mental health conditions. If you have questions about the appropriate intervention for you, please consult a qualified professional.)