This is going to sound weird coming from a certified life coach, but I used to be a big time skeptic regarding the potential benefits of coaching for people like me.
I’m an introvert and a highly sensitive person after all.
I take a long time to process information and I do it in solitude.
I learn and retain material better by reading it than by hearing it.
And I’ve been burned by too many disappointing experiences with service providers who didn’t give me space to express myself or understand my needs.
So for a long time it was “I’m better off just taking care of myself, thank you very much.”
I eventually stumbled on coaching quite by accident, as a side product of a course I was taking that was only tangentially related.
Through that process, I started opening my mind to the fact that while I still very much need my private space to reflect and process and I won’t touch “people who don’t get it” with a ten-foot pole, there are circumstances where coaching can actually be really transformational.
And today, having been coached plenty myself and having served as a coach for many other introverts and HSPs, I now know for certain that coaching has potential not just in a general sense, but it can be REALLY beneficial for introverts and highly sensitive people specifically.
3 Benefits of Life Coaching for Introverts and HSPs
1. There Are Certain Situations Where Having An Outside Perspective Can Be Priceless
I’m all about self study and reflection. Reading books, taking self-paced online courses, and just letting my intuition work in solitude have afforded me with tons of knowledge and enabled me to make great strides in my personal development.
But I have also learned the hard way that we all have blind spots. 🙂 Sometimes we hold ourselves back, succumb to limiting beliefs, and self sabotage without even realizing all the ways we are doing it. If you notice any of the following, they are signs that an outside perspective could really help you move forward:
- Analysis paralysis
- Overwhelm about which direction to take
- Self doubt to the point that you can’t take action
- Goals and dreams that are never realized
Now, some people are able to get that outside perspective from family and friends. But introverts and highly sensitive people often run in a smaller circle, which means that it can be harder to find people who are actually capable of serving that function. And most of us are reluctant to go searching for “better friends” or open up to random people about our inner struggles (cause awkward!).
Hiring a life coach whose sole job it is to help you unearth your limiting beliefs and give you an objective perspective on your situation can be a much more efficient (and less exhausting!) way to get you moving forward.
2. Sometimes You Actually Need To Be The Center Of Attention (For just a bit! 😉 )
Introverts tend to be really good at being quiet and listening. Highly sensitive people tend to be packed with empathy and compassion for other people.
This means that we can easily become sounding boards for everyone else’s issues and our own stuff never gets the attention it deserves. Does any of the following ring true?
- You would really like to talk through a personal issue with a friend or family member, but somehow you never manage to turn the conversation to yourself.
- Or if you do, you get talked over or interrupted or the other person’s attention is directed at 16 things other than your issue.
- You never seem to find the time and place to really focus and work through how to proceed regarding the dreams and goals you have for yourself.
If yes, a coaching session can be the one safe haven where you won’t be talked over and it’s all about YOU!
3. You Need And Deserve To Feel Supported
Here’s another set of circumstances that is all too familiar for many introverts and highly sensitive people:
- You need and desire a lifestyle that is not the norm or what society tells us we should all want.
- Friends and family don’t get why you would want something different. Plus they have their own fears and doubts that they project onto you. As in “I wouldn’t/couldn’t/shouldn’t do it so neither should you!”
- So your environment (friends, family, society at large) end up feeding your self doubt rather than helping you overcome it.
- So you are stuck, because even though you may be an introvert, you are still wired to need validation, support, and encouragement from other people. This is a universal human need!
Again, a life coach who is unbiased and devoted to supporting you in reaching whatever goals are important to YOU, can give you the support you need to feel more confident and overcome the self doubts that are holding you back.
And THAT’s Why I Wanted To Become A Life Coach For Introverts And Highly Sensitive People
I’ve experienced first hand what it’s like. I know what it’s like when you need and want something different, but nobody gets it and nobody’s there to support you the way you need to be supported. And I’ve also experienced the sigh of relief when you finally feel understood and supported and strong enough to move forward.
And THAT’S what I want to give you as your life coach. I want to give you an outside perspective plus the attention and support that you deserve, all in an environment where introversion and high sensitivity are accepted and celebrated.
Here Are The Ways In Which I Try To Make My Coaching Sessions Introvert- And HSP-Friendly
- Mid-conversation pauses are expected and encouraged. You are allowed to think before you talk!
- Every session has a clear pre-determined focus so that your peopling energy doesn’t get wasted.
- It is assumed that some of the biggest take-aways and insights might come to you not during our live session but afterwards when you start processing. We’ll have a way to document and keep track of these developments.
- My coaching sessions are conducted online via zoom, so there isn’t the added stress of “having to go somewhere.”
- For people who find zoom calls too visually stimulating, I provide the option of doing voice only zoom or telephone with no visuals.
To Find Out More About My Life Coaching Packages…
To get all the details about my life coaching packages, click here.