When I say that the Myers Briggs personality type theory totally changed my life, most people will think I’m exaggerating. I mean, really???
But I’m actually dead serious and not exaggerating at all.
Before discovering my personality type, I had been struggling big time, growing increasingly hopeless and thinking that I would never be able to lead a life that I actually felt good being in. But after learning about personality types, it became crystal clear to me why I was having such a hard time with “normal” life and what I could do about it.
Now, I do realize that discovering your personality type is not going to be equally earthshattering for everyone. Some people’s struggles have nothing to do with living out of alignment with their personality. And some people find their natural groove without any formal “self discovery work”.
Here are 5 signs that you could potentially benefit from finding out your Myers Briggs personality type.
5 SIGNS YOU WOULD BENEFIT FROM FINDING OUT YOUR MYERS BRIGGS PERSONALITY TYPE
1. You Are Dissatisfied With Your Life And You Are Not Sure Why
You have everything you feel like you should want, yet something is off. You have a family and friends and work and a roof over your head, and yet you are not satisfied. There’s something about this life that’s not working for you. Something missing. Something leaving you yearning for more.
You just can’t quite pinpoint what that something is.
2. You Don’t Like Your Job But You Are Not Sure What You Could Do Instead
You don’t like your job. You spend your days stealing glances at the clock, waiting for the hours to be over with already. Wishing you could be somewhere else. Doing something different.
You are just not really sure where the somewhere is and what the something different could be.
3. You Have A Hard Time Getting Along With Some People And You Don’t Know What To Do About It
You get into the same conflicts with some people over and over and over again. Maybe it’s with your significant other. Maybe it’s a parent or sibling. Maybe it’s someone at work.
And you just don’t know how to make it stop.
4. You Feel Like A Misfit And Like People Don’t Get You
And maybe it’s not just some people. Maybe you feel like a misfit among most people you encounter. Like they are just SO different. Like you were dropped here from another planet or something.
And you are not sure where this feeling is coming from or how to overcome it.
5. You Are Stressed Out A Lot And You Could Use New Ways To Manage Stress
You get stressed out. A lot. To the point that it feels more than normal and is really dragging you down.
You wish you knew why and what you could do about it. But you don’t.
ANY OF THIS SOUND LIKE YOU?
If, yes let me tell you about all the ways you can go about finding out your personality type.
But before we get to that, the most important thing to know is that the best person to decide your type is YOU! Nobody else can tell you what YOUR preferences are. Although assessments can be used as one tool that informs the typing process, they are not meant to be taken without self reflection. As a Certified MBTI® Practitioner, it would actually be considered unethical of me to let someone take the assessment without a follow-up meeting to explain the results and discuss the extent to which they resonate with the client.
With that being said, here are your options for finding out your personality type:
- Read this article for brief descriptions of the preference pairs. For some people, that’s all it takes!
- Take Design Your Best Life, my self-paced online course. In this course, I not only walk you through figuring out your personality type, but you will also assess the extent to which you are living in alignment with your type preferences. You can find out more about Design Your Best Life by watching my free video class.
- Take one of the free assessments you can find by googling online. I would, however, recommend checking the credentials of whoever designed the assessment and whether the assessment has been scientifically validated. And I would also recommend combining the results with a self assessment.
- Take the official MBTI® with an interpretation by a certified administrator. No, it won’t be free, but the official MBTI® is backed up by – literally – several decades of development and refinement and more than 10,000 research papers. If you’d like me to serve as the administrator, you can sign up for the MBTI® Step 2 Self Discovery Session here. My services are location independent with all sessions conducted online via Zoom.